Formulated with essential nutrients for mother and baby.
Blackmores Pregnancy & Breast-Feeding Gold provides an ideal daily dose of 20 important nutrients for mother and baby including folic acid, iodine and vitamin D3. With omega-3 DHA to support baby’s brain, eyesight and nervous system development and a lower constipation iron.
Provides 20 important nutrients in total including a daily dose of:
- 500 microgram of folic acid which, if taken daily for one month before conception and during pregnancy, may reduce the risk of having a child with spina bifida/neural tube defects
- 150 microgram of iodine for baby's brain, visual motor skills and hearing development. Iodine supports the development of normal intelligence and IQ
- Lower constipation iron
- Odourless and concentrated fish oil, rich in DHA for baby's brain, eyesight and nervous system development.
The Blackmores difference
All nutrients are important during pregnancy and breastfeeding. The following provides additional information on some special nutrients important during pregnancy and breastfeeding, that are in Pregnancy & Breastfeeding Gold.
Folic acid – According to guidelines in Australia* this product contains 500 microgram of folic acid, as it is recommended that women of childbearing age take 400-500 μg of folic acid per day for at least one month before pregnancy and for the first 3 months of pregnancy.
*Guidelines for preventive activities in general practice, 8th edn. East Melbourne: Royal Australian College of General Practitioners, 2012.
Iodine - Requirement for iodine is increased during the whole pregnancy, especially the first 20 weeks.
Australian women are typically not receiving enough iodine. The National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) recommends that pregnant and breast-feeding women take an iodine supplement containing 150 microgram* daily.
*NHMRC Public Statement: Iodine supplementation for pregnant and breastfeeding women. NHMRC, 2010.
Iron - Approximately one quarter of pregnant women report getting constipated when taking high doses of supplemental iron. That is why Pregnancy & Breastfeeding Gold contains a low-constipation, low-nausea, gentle on the tummy form of iron.
Omega-3 fatty acids - During pregnancy there can be an increased sensitivity to tastes, especially in the first trimester. Odourless fish oil means pregnant women can get the benefits of omega-3s without the fishy aftertaste.
Vitamin D - Vitamin D supports the development of healthy bones and teeth. A review of nutrient intakes in pregnant Australian women suggested that dietary intakes were below recommended levels for vitamin D, while surveys of Australian neonates have shown approximately 40-57% of neonates have insufficient vitamin D levels
B group vitamins - B vitamins support cellular energy production, with vitamins B1, B2, B3, and B5 all involved in cellular energy production. Vitamins B2 and B12 help the body use folic acid.
Zinc, vitamins C & D and betacarotene for immune health support.
Visit the Blackmores Health hub for articles, advice and tips for wellbeing during pregnancy & preconception
Active ingredients per capsule:
- Concentrated omega-3 triglycerides fish 250 mg containing omega-3 marine triglycerides 150 mg
- Nicotinamide (vitamin B3) 9 mg
- Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) 30 mg
- Calcium carbonate (calcium 50 mg) 125 mg
- Biotin 15 microgram
- Iron (II) glycinate (iron 5 mg) 19.22 mg
- Zinc oxide (zinc 5.5 mg) 6.82 mg
- Heavy magnesium oxide (magnesium 35 mg) 58.1 mg
- Selenomethionine (selenium 32.5 microgram) 81.3 microgram
- Chromium picolinate (chromium 15 microgram) 121 microgram
- Thiamine nitrate (vitamin B1) 700 µg
- Riboflavin (vitamin B2) 700 µg
- Calcium pantothenate (pantothenic acid, vitamin B5 2.5 mg) 2.73 mg
- Pyridoxine hydrochloride (pyridoxine, vitamin B6 950 µg) 1.16 mg
- Cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12) 1.3 microgram
- Colecalciferol (vitamin D 500 IU) 12.5 microgram
- Folic acid 250 microgram
- d-alpha-Tocopherol (natural vitamin E 5.22 IU) 3.5 mg
- Potassium iodide (iodine 75 microgram) 98.3 microgram
- Betacarotene 2.4 mg
Adults – Take 2 capsules a day with meals, or as professionally prescribed.
- Always read the label
- Follow the directions for use
- Supplements may only be of assistance if dietary intake is inadequate
- Contains sulfites
- Do not exceed the stated dose of folic acid. If you have had a baby with a neural tube defect / spina bifida, seek medical advice
- This product contains selenium which is toxic in high doses. A daily dose of 150 microgram for adults of selenium from dietary supplements should not be exceeded
- If you have any pre-existing conditions, or are on any medications always talk to your health professional before use